Friday, February 17, 2017

Staying Emotionally Connect: Turn Toward One Another


It is so important to turn toward each other, that is what keeps a marriage going.  In Gottman's book he told a story about hearing his wife grumbling while she was unloading clothes out of the dryer.  He could have just gone on his way, but he stopped and asked what was wrong.  She told him that she didn't mind doing the laundry, but she hated folding the clothes.  So John turned toward his wife, and took over folding the clothes.  Eventually she came back into the room where he was listening to jazz as he folded.  They both were relaxed and ended up going out to a local jazz club for dinner.  I love how he turned toward his wife, and laundry.  It can start as a small act, but eventually it can generate enormous results.  
I love when my husband unloads the dishwasher, because it needs to be unloaded, not because I have asked him to.  There are things that he does just because and I know that he is turning towards me.  One thing that we love to do together is grocery shopping.  Every Saturday morning he and I have a date at the grocery store.  That is something we like to do together and keeps us turned toward each other.  
Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ provides eternal prospective.  In our marriages, if have this eternal prospective, things can be different.  In my marriage, I know that my husband will say or do something that can really upset me, but if we have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, then those irritations and challenges can turn into blessings..
Nobody has a perfect marriage, but if we keep Heavenly Father in our marriage along with faith, then we can have a better marriage.  Both my husband and I have faults, and if we let them get to us, our marriage would struggle.  But turning toward each other and having faith, we can make it work.  This is something that I would like my children to see and know when they get married.  I hope that we are setting that example for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment