Saturday, January 21, 2017

Threats To Marriage


In our reading this week, what caught my attention was the letter to Judge Kennedy from the child of a same-sex couple.  This was a great letter, that explains a lot about the children that are involved in these same-sex marriages.  Katy Faust is the author of this letter and she said, "The desires of the adults trump the rights of the child".  That is so true.  People are not necessarily looking out for the children that are involved in these families.  They are looking out for themselves and their feelings and rights.  Another point that she made was that nobody talks about that "missing parent".  Children in homes of same-sex couples have either two moms or two dads.  They are missing out on that one parent, whether it be their mom or dad.  Katy's argue in this letter also is that marriage should not be redefined.  When it is redefined, you are redefining parenthood.  
This letter put same-sex marriage in a whole new light for me.  Katy was right, you never hear about the children.  She is out there standing up for these children.  Our niece lives in California and spent many countless hours working with many members on Proposition 8.  It was amazing that it passed.  We need to stand up for our beliefs when it comes to same-sex marriage.  I love that we have the Family:  A Proclamation to the World, and I have referred friends to it when they ask about our belief in the church.
In my extended family I have cousins who are attracted to the same sex, but to my knowledge they haven't gotten married to their partners.  One couple, for instance are in there 50s and have no children, just dogs.  They have lived together for over 25 years.  I must admit, they are fun to be around, and even though I do not agree with their same-sex attraction and cohabitation they are still family.  Neither of my cousins have children and I feel like that is a blessing, especially after reading Katy letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment